- 1 leek, washed, thickly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, thickly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thickly sliced, plus leaves
- 2 onions, peeled, roughly chopped
- 100g mushrooms, brushed, quartered
- 1 medium potato, thickly sliced
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 3 parsley leaves and stalks
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 tbs Marmite
Homemade vegetable stock
Serves: Makes 2 litres
- Put all the vegetables and herbs into a large pan. Mix the Marmite™ into 1.5 litres warm water, and then add to the pot. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer very gently for 30-35 minutes.
- Strain the stock through a sieve, pressing the ingredients well against the sides of the sieve to extract all the liquid.
- Use where needed in risotto, soup or lentil stew. If not needing immediately, leave to cool completely, then chill in a covered container. Will keep for 3 days in the fridge.
- Use vegetable trimmings leftover from dinner preparations and freeze in a large bag. Use these in a stock pot.
- Any vegetables can be used to make stock, especially if they are a bit dehydrated from too long in the fridge.