- ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 cups instant couscous
- 10g vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small spanish onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (or ¼ tsp ground cumin)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- ½ cup semi dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Lemon and olive couscous
Fragrant and full of bold flavours, this fluffy couscous is high in fibre and a good source of iron. Great warm or chilled, it will spice up a simple dinner.
- Place the lemon slices in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and chop the slices roughly.
- Place the couscous in a large heatproof bowl. Combine the stock cube with the boiling water and pour over the couscous. Cover and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Fluff up with a fork.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frypan over a moderate heat. Saute the onion for 2 minutes or until soft, add the cumin seeds and cinnamon and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
- In a large serving bowl combine the couscous, lemon, onion, olives, tomatoes and parsley. Serve or cover and refrigerate until required.