- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 350g eggplant, trimmed, finely diced
- 600ml tomato passata sauce
- ⅓ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250g wholemeal spaghetti
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 50g feta cheese reduced fat, crumbled
- 25g wild rocket leaves
Eggplant and rocket spaghetti
A quick meal that’s bursting with flavour, this dish is packed with wholegrains, and high in fibre and iron.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Increase to medium-high. Add eggplant. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, stock and basil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until eggplant is tender. Stir through cherry tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until tender, then drain and return to pan.
- Add eggplant mixture to spaghetti. Gently toss to combine over low heat. Spoon onto serving plates. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and feta. Serve with wild rocket.
- Passata is a special formulation of pureed tomatoes and can be found with the pasta sauces in your supermarket.