- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 4 cups liquid vegetable stock, reduced salt
- 4 cups water
- 400g can chopped tomatoes, no added salt
- 400g can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 tbs tomato paste, no added salt
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
Vegetable barley soup
A hearty winter warmer, this soup is rich in nutrients and low in saturated fat. Serve with your favourite toasted bread for a delicious meal.
Looking for more healthy recipes? Explore our collection of over 500 healthy, dietitian approved recipes and subscribe to Recipe of the Week for free weekly recipe inspiration!
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and saute onion until soft. Add paprika and chilli flakes and saute for 1 minute.
- Add vegetables, stock, water, tomatoes, kidney beans, barley, tomato paste and salt.
- Bring mixture to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until barley is soft.
Serve with toasted Turkish bread.