- 8 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1½ tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ⅔ cup brown rice, cooked
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs dill, chopped
- 100g feta cheese reduced-fat, crumbled
- rocket leaves and crusty wholegrain gluten free bread to serve
- olive oil spray
Rice and feta stuffed tomatoes
A classic combination of Greek style flavours high in fibre and protein and low in saturated fat. Great served on their own as a light meal or with your favourite green salad on the side.
- Preheat oven to 160ºC.
- Cut a 1cm thick slice off the stem-side of each tomato. Set tops aside. Using a tsp, scoop out tomato pulp including seeds (without damaging skin) into a bowl. Roughly chop pulp. Pat dry tomato cavities with paper towel.
- To make stuffing, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add rice. Stir to coat in oil and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato pulp and stock. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 25 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parsley, dill and feta. Evenly spoon rice mixture into tomatoes. Top with tomato tops.
- Arrange tomatoes into a greased large baking dish. Spray with olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes until tomatoes are tender.
- Serve with rocket leaves and crusty wholegrain bread.
- why not try adding 2 tbs of pine nuts to rice mixture before filling tomato shells.