- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 kg desiree potato, cut into chunks
- 2 x 400g cans brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ litre vegetable stock, reduced salt
- ½ litre water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, no salted salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 commercial roti
Potato and pea curry in roti cones
A ‘go to dish’ using pantry staples. This moderately spiced curry bowl served in roti cones is a lighter meal than if served with rice. Great meal idea for on the run.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and saute’ onion over medium heat until soft. Add spices and saute’ for 1 minute.
- Stir through potato, lentils, stock and tomato paste. Bring mixture to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 -25 minutes with lid off, stirring occasionally, until potato is cooked and liquid reduced.
- Fold through peas. Heat through.
- Heat fry pan over a high heat then reduce heat and brown roti on both sides. Form roti into cone shapes and fill with curry. Serves 8
- Roti is a flatbread that is lightly fried on both sides and served with the curry. It’s found in the bread section of the supermarket. Alternatively you could make your own.