- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 60g currants
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 300ml water
- 200g spinach
- 100g slivered almonds, roasted (reserve 1 tbs for garnish)
- 2 tbs chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbs chopped mint leaves
- low-fat natural yogurt and coriander sprigs to serve
Chickpea pilaf with spinach
Great tasting meals don’t come much simpler to cook than this! This rustic chickpea pilaf with spinach is full of aromatic spices and fragrant herbs – guaranteed to have friends and family coming back for more.
- Place rice in a sieve and rinse under running water until water runs clear. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, leek, garlic, currants and spices. Cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chickpeas, rice, stock, and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place spinach over rice, cover and stand for 8 minutes.
- Uncover, add ¾ cup almonds, coriander and mint into rice. Stir ingredients in using a fork. Serve topped with yoghurt and remaining almonds
- This recipe can be kept frozen in individual serves and reheated for an easy meal.