- 300g dried wholemeal penne pasta
- 1 ½ tbs olive oil
- 150g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1 sweet corn cob, kernels removed
- 1 cup fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese reduced fat, grated
- ¼ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 100g ricotta cheese low-fat, crumbled
Cheese and tomato pasta bake
A quick and easy, nutritious mid-week meal the whole family will love.
- Cook penne pasta, following instructions on the packet, until al dente. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbs oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes until just tender.
- Add tomato pasta sauce, cover and bring to the boil. Stir in corn. Remove from heat.
- To make the crunchy cheese topping, place breadcrumbs and remaining oil in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
- Drain penne and immediately return to the pan. Add tomato mixture, basil and ricotta. Gently toss to combine. Spoon into lightly greased 6 x 1 ½ cup capacity baking dishes or ramekins. Top with cheese mixture. Cook under a preheated grill for 2-3 minutes until golden and serve.
- This recipe can also be made in one large baking dish instead of individual ramekins if preferred.