- 12 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 300g baby spinach leaves
- 300g silken tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 700g bottle Passata sauce
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
Spinach and tofu filled shells
This easy to make plant based pasta recipe is delicious and will be a crowd pleaser to even the fussiest of eaters. A dairy-free twist on a family favourite.
Try this and other delicious recipes from our new eBook A Beginner's Guide to Vegetarian Eating. Free to download here!
- Bring water to boil in a large pot and add pasta shells. Cook until al dente, drain and cool in cold water.
- Heat oil in frypan add onion, garlic and shallots and saute until soft.
- Add nutmeg, salt and spinach. Saute until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- In food processor, process tofu until smooth.
- Combine spinach mixture, tofu and nutritional yeast. Stir until well combined.
- Pour enough passata into the base of a pie dish to cover the bottom.
- Spoon filling into pasta shells and place shells into dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over shells. Sprinkle with pinenuts.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 180°C, for 30 minutes. Serve with a green salad.
- Jumbo pasta shells can be found in some supermarkets and delis
- Use cannelloni tubes if you can’t find jumbo pasta shells
- Sprinkle with grated cheese or vegan cheese before placing in oven
- Passata sauce is uncooked tomato puree that has been strained and removed of seeds and skin.