- 3/4 cup plain flour (113g)
- 3/4 cup wholemeal flour (113g)
- 1 cup So Good™ Oat No Added Sugar, warmed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp margarine, melted
Crumpets are an all round crowd fave and are even better when made at home. Made using wholemeal flour and So Good Oat milk, these crumpets are vegan and the answer to your breakfast cravings. They are a great alternative to bread and are delicious with honey or avoccado and marmite.
- Place flours, oat milk and salt together in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat for 1 minute.
- In a separate smaller bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add yeast mixture, baking powder and sugar to flour mixture. Beat for 30 seconds. Cover and place in a warm place for 2 hours, until surface is bubbly and mixture has increased a little in size.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium-high. Brush crumpet rings and the frying pan with a little melted margarine. Place crumpet rings in pan.
- Pour 1/4 cup mixture into rings and cook for 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface and start popping around the edges. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking for 7 minutes, until the surface is set (you can help pop the last few bubbles with a skewer).
- Remove the rings, then flip the crumpets over and cook for a further 2 minutes, until cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Follow the steps above to cook the remaining crumpet mixture.
Crumpets can be served immediately, but are best eaten the next day. Toast them until the bases are nice and crispy.