- 300g pack firm Bean Supreme tofu
- 2 capsicums (1 green and 1 red), halved, cored, seeds removed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
- 4 tsp smokey paprika
- 400g can peeled tomatoes
- 2 Reduced Salt vegetable stock cubes, made up to 1L with boiling water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Handful flat-leaf parsley (to garnish)
- Green goddess dressing:
- ½ cup (packed) coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 20 leaves fresh basil, approximately ¼ cup
- ½ cup coarsely chopped dill
- 3 spring onions, coarsely chopped (whites and greens)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tbs red wine vinegar (or more, to taste)
- 3 tbs Greek yogurt
Vegetarian goulash with green goddess dressing
- Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes. Chop the capsicum, carrot and celery stick into bite-sized chunks and shred the celery leaves. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat. Heat the oil, then add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes, then add the tofu, paprika and season to taste. Stir well so that the tofu is coated with the paprika. Add the chopped vegetables and the canned tomatoes. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Then add the potatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot sprinkled with flat-leaf parsley and toasted pita breads or couscous, and green goddess dressing.
- To make the green dressing, place the herbs and spring onion in a blender or food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until very, very finely minced. Add oil and vinegar. Process for just a few seconds longer, then transfer to a bowl or container. Stir in yogurt, and season to taste. Taste to adjust vinegar, then whisk until uniformly blended. Cover tightly and chill until use.
- Traditional goulash is like thick rustic soup, but if you prefer a thicker stew, double the quantity of potatoes and add them at the same time as the other vegetables.
- If you freeze the tofu for at least one day to change the texture and make it suitable for lengthy cooking.
- Can be enjoyed with or without the dressing