- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 small chillies, seeded and finely sliced (optional)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced into 1cm pieces
- 2 medium carrots, chopped coarsely
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 medium zucchini (courgette), chopped coarsely
- 1 medium red capsicum, sliced thinly
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cups water, extra
- ⅓ cup currants
- 1 tbs soy sauce
Spicy vegetable biryani
Great as a main meal or side, this mildly spiced rice dish is sure to impress with its subtle combination of traditional spices.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Cook garlic, sliced onion and chillies, stirring until onion softens. Add garam masala and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, potato, carrots and water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add zucchini (courgette) and capsicum, simmer covered for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a medium saucepan. Cook chopped onion, stirring, until soft but not coloured. Add rice and spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in the extra water, currants and soy sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 15 minutes or until rice is just tender and water is absorbed.
- Place half of the rice mixture in a 2 litre serving dish, top with vegetable mixture then remaining rice mixture. Serve with yoghurt if desired.
- Garam masala is an Indian spice and can be found in most supermarkets in the spice aisle.