- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for cooking the patties
- 2 medium red onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs water
- 3 medium zucchini, grate and squeeze to remove excess water
- 1 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
Lentil & zucchini patties
A great addition to your next barbecue, these lentil patties are packed with protein and fibre. Serve as a tasty patty, or as a main meal with vegies or salad on the side.
Looking for more healthy recipes? Explore our collection of over 500 healthy, dietitian approved recipes and subscribe to Recipe of the Week for free weekly recipe inspiration!
- Bring lentils and water to the boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes until soft. Drain.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until brown and soft. Add brown sugar and water. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Place lentils, onion, zucchini, breadcrumbs, flour, eggs and spices in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Drizzle approx 1/2 tsp oil into a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Scoop 1/4 or 1/3 cup mixture into the hot pan, depending on fritter size preference. Add more oil as required with each batch.
- Cook patties for 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat with more oil and remaining batter as required. Makes 12 to 18 patties.
- Make these ahead of time the day before and store in the fridge.
- Replace zucchini with 1 1/2 cups fresh, canned or frozen corn kernels to make corn fritters.
- Make an extra batch and freeze them for later use
- Having a BBQ? Serve lentil & zucchini patties with this tasty Avocado dip