- 1kg desiree or pontiac potatoes, peeled and cut
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup plain flour
This simple recipe is a great start to a healthy dinner. A fun recipe to try with the kids.
- Cook whole potatoes in boiling water until tender. Peel hot potatoes and put through a sieve. Stir through eggs and salt. Add enough flour to form a loose dough, adding more flour as you go if needed. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead lightly.
- Divide into 6 equal portions, working with one portion at a time. Roll out on floured surface to make a rope about 1.5cm thick. Cut into 1.5cm lengths. Press with fork to make indentation. Continue with remaining dough. Arrange on a floured tray.
- Cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling water in batches of 20 at a time. Cook 1-2 minutes or until gnocchi have risen to the surface. Remove with slotted spoon. Serve with pasta sauce and parmesan cheese.
- Try not to overcook the dough as it can break apart or dissolve in the boiling water.
- Work the dough as little as possible: overworking can result in a rubbery finished product.
- Gnocchi works well with many different sauces, including tomato pasta sauce or white sauce.