- ¼ cabbage (white or red), thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 red apples (rose), coarsely grated
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200 gram store brought salad dressing (coleslaw)/or natural yoghurt
Crunchy apple slaw
Fresh and crunchy coleslaw - especially when it's homemade - makes a perfect side to sandwiches, mains or savoury tarts and is great at picnics and barbecues. This one combines apple and walnut. Add some sourdough croutons for extra crunch!
- Finely slice the cabbage, onion, celery, and place in a large bowl.
- Grate the apples and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Add apples, lemon zest, and walnuts to the cabbage mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fold through the dressing of your choice, and combine well. Serve with your favorite quiche or tart.
- Add grated low-fat cheese
- Break up small broccoli florets and add to the slaw
- In the summer add a grated courgette