- 3 Weet-Bix, crushed
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk, or So Good Soy or Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light flavoured olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup no-sugar mixed berry jam (see tip)
- 1 tbs shredded coconut
Berry & Bix Bars
Breakfast, lunch, or afternoon tea, this rustic berry slice is a winner any time of day!
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Oil a 20 cm (8 inch) square pan, line base and two long sides with a strip of baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a separate jug whisk together milk, maple syrup, olive oil, egg and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just moistened.
- Spoon a bit more than half the batter into the prepared pan and level into a thin layer. Dollop over jam and spread gently to the edges. Spoon over remaining batter to cover as much of the filling as possible. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until firm on top and golden around edges. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, run a knife around unlined sides and lift out to cool completely on a rack. Cut into 12 bars.
- Jam can be replaced with homemade thick berry compote.