- 375 g ripe strawberries
- 125 g ripe blueberries
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
Strawberry & Blueberry Chia Jam
An ideal, small batch recipe to make when berries are in season and inexpensive. This jam by Dr Sue Radd has a thick and luscious texture with a sweet vanilla note and it’s low in added sugar, compared to regular jams.
- Hull the strawberries then cut them into quarters and place in a strainer. Wash them well and transfer to a medium saucepan. Wash the blueberries separately and set them aside.
- Place the saucepan onto the stove and cook the strawberries on medium high for 5 minutes to soften then. Use a potato masher to help them break down. Add the blueberries and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, stirring often without mashing, until both fruits have softened but the blueberries maintain their shape.
- Remove the softened berries from the stove and mix in the maple syrup, vanilla bean extract and chia seeds. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to slightly cool and thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the jam into mason jars. Makes approximately 2 cups.
- Jam stores in the fridge for at least one week. It can also be frozen.
- You can create many variations of this recipe, using other berries and flavouring ingredients.