- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained
- 4 large kale leaves, stems removed
- juice and zest from 1/2 lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- 4 fried eggs, optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
Caramelised onion & kale rice
This simple meal is an unexpected explosion of flavour!
- Drizzle 1 tsp oil into a medium saucepan over high heat. Add rice and stir to coat with the oil. Add water and bring to a boil. Immediately cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove pan from heat, keep covered, and set-aside for an additional 10 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, prepare onions. Place a large skillet over medium-low heat, add remaining olive oil, sliced onions, and a good pinch of salt. Stir well, then cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions have started to soften.
- Remove lid from onion pan, and cook a further 20 – 25 mins, stirring regularly, until onions are golden and caramelised. If the mixture looks a bit dry, add a small splash of water halfway through cooking.
- Thinly slice kale leaves. Stir kale through caramelised onions, cooking just long enough to wilt. Add cooked rice and drained beans to pan with the onions, stir to combine. Season to taste with lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper.
- Divide rice into serving bowls. Serve topped with a fried egg, if using, and extra lemon wedges.
- Swap cannellini beans for any tinned beans you have in the pantry. Replace kale with zucchini or another leafy green.
- Add 1/2 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander to the oil before adding the rice. Top rice with fresh parsley or coriander leaves before serving.