- 250g fresh reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 cup burghul (cracked wheat)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into small strips
- 1 punnet (250g) cherry tomatoes, halved (quartered if large)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped basil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp olive oil, extra
Warm capsicum, tomato, burghul and baked ricotta salad
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and grease and line the base of a 19cm x 9cm cm (base) loaf pan with baking paper.
- Combine ricotta with oregano and chives and place in prepared pan. Spread evenly over base.Bake for 30 minutes until firm. Leave to cool and then turn out of pan. Chop into cubes.
- Place burghul in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 20 minutes. Drain well in a fine strainer, using the back of a spoon to press down on burghul to remove liquid. Spoon into a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add capsicum and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes to heat up. Toss mixture through burghul along with basil. Whisk together remaining oil and vinegar and mix through salad. Top salad with baked ricotta cubes.
- To add a different flavour, sprinkle some crumbled feta on top of the salad.