- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground sumac
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄4 tsp ground chilli (optional)
- 420g can low salt diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1⁄2 tsp sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 400g can brown lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 600g butternut pumpkin, seeded and chopped into 2cm pieces
Spicy pumpkin and lentil tagine
This richly spiced dish is simple to prepare.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook over low heat until softened. Add the garlic, cook for a few seconds, then stir in the ground spices. Cook for 30 seconds, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, half the parsley and coriander.
- Add the lentils and chopped pumpkin, stir well, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and coriander to serve.
- Serve with couscous with currants and almonds.