- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 430g can brown lentils
- 1 tsp Marmite™
- 2 tbs Sanitarium crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbs tomato paste with garlic and herbs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- ½ tsp dried basil leaves
- ½ cup carrot, grated
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 cups cooked brown short-grain rice
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs, extra
- 2 tbs oil
Lentil burgers are a delicious, healthy and satisfying way to enjoy a guilt-free burger. They'll be a stand-out hit at your next barbecue! With essential nutrients like protein, fibre and iron, lentils pack a nutritional punch and are great for gut health too.
Looking for more healthy recipes? Explore our collection of over 500 dietitian approved and plant-based recipes here.
- Place all ingredients, except the extra breadcrumbs and oil, in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Using a ¼ cup measure, shape the mixture into 14 burgers. Coat with the extra breadcrumbs and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook half the burgers over medium heat, for 5 minutes each side, until golden and crisp.
- Repeat with the second batch of burgers, using the remaining oil.
- Serve in burger buns with salad or coleslaw.
- Make an extra batch of lentil burger patties and freeze them for later use
- Serve lentil burger patties as a main meal with vegies or salad on the side.
- Once cooked, lentil burger patties can be kept refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Having a BBQ? Serve with this tasty Avocado dip