- 1 tbs canola oil
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¾ cup canned brown lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 5 ½ cups boiling water (or vegetable stock)
- ½ cup ricotta cheese, reduced-fat
- 2 cups green beans, halved, steamed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- grated parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
Creamy garlic and leek risotto
A hearty meal that’s perfect for cold winter nights. Fragrant leek, crisp green beans and creamy ricotta bring a delicious flavour and satisfying texture to this great recipe.
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add sliced leek and crushed garlic and saute until soft. Add lentils and 2 cups water. Bring mixture to the boil then stir through rice.
- Gradually add boiling water or stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring until liquid has been absorbed, before adding the next ½ cup. Once all the water or stock has been absorbed, stir ricotta, beans, salt and chives through rice mixture.
- Serve garnished with extra chopped chives and grated parmesan cheese.
- To prepare leeks, trim leaves and then cut the remaining portion of the leek in half length-ways, wash thoroughly and slice finely.
- For extra colour and flavour, add roasted vegetables to this recipe.