- 2 Weet-Bix, finely crushed
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted mixed nuts, roasted, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup honey or golden syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 50 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp icing sugar, for dusting
We’ve put a twist on this traditional Tuscan holiday sweet! Loaded with fruit, nuts and a hint of chocolate, it’s perfect for both gifting to friends, and enjoying at home.
- Heat oven to 150°C. Lightly spray a round, 24 cm, cake tin with oil. Line the base and sides with a round of baking paper.
- Tip Weet-Bix, nuts, dried fruit, cacao powder, flour, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl and mix well.
- In a saucepan over high heat, stir the honey, sugar, and orange juice until mixture starts to bubble at edges. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 mins. Stir through chocolate, then immediately pour the hot syrup over the fruit and nut mixture.
- Use a sturdy spoon to stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Transfer to prepared tin and press surface (with an oiled spoon or square of baking paper) to smooth.
- Bake 30 mins. Leave to cool completely in tin, approximately 2 hours. Unmould and peel off baking paper. Dust with icing sugar and cut into slivers with a sharp knife.
- Wrap in baking paper and store in the fridge in an airtight container, for up to two weeks.
- For the nuts, we suggest hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios, and macadamias. For the fruit, sultanas, dried cranberries, figs and apricots, and mixed peel. Feel free to substitute with your favourites.