- 2 large onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Marmite™
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 loaf foccacia bread
- 50 grams light cheddar cheese, grated
Cheesy Marmitey, oniony focaccia-y
- Slice onions, thinly, into half rounds (the thinner the better). Heat oil, in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add onions and fry until starting to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and mustard seeds. Add Marmite™, brown sugar and continue to cook until dissolved. Lower heat and continue to cook for 15 minutes until brown and caramelised. Set aside until ready to use.
- Slice bread into 8 pieces. Toast slices of bread in toaster or under grill. Liberally spoon on the onions and then sprinkle over grated cheese.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes, until cheese is melted and just starting to bubble. Serve immediately.
- Red or white onions can be used.