- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 sheets canola puff pastry, reduced fat
- 2 cups rocket leaves
Caramelised onion and tomato tarts
This delightful tart will be a hit for summer entertaining. Serve with your favourite salad on the side for a light meal or as a tasty starter.
- Heat oil in a frypan. Add onion and simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes to sweat. Add vinegar, sugar and salt and simmer a further 15 minutes until golden and soft. Set aside.
- Place tomatoes on a lined baking tray. Brush with balsamic vinegar and bake in a slow oven, 150°C for 20 minutes.
- Score a border around the pastry leaving a 2cm edge. Spread caramelised onion over sheets of pastry within the border. Arrange tomatoes over top.
- Bake in a hot oven, 200°C for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden and puffed. Serve topped with rocket.
- Roma tomatoes are oval shaped tomatoes that are available in the fresh vegetables section of the supermarket.
- If roma tomatoes are not available any variety of red tomato may be used in this tart.
- Why not try making mini tarts. Cut your pastry sheet into four equal squares and divide the topping up equally between each one.